By default, Outlook displays the Desktop Alert above the system tray on the desktop. Since I run a multiple monitor setup, I found myself rarely noticing the Desktop Alert because I was focused on applications on the other monitor. by changing the location that the Desktop Alert appears, it was more easily noticed and better served its purpose.
1. Open Outlook.
2. Go to the top of the Ribbon and click the Office Button.
3. Click Options.
4. In the left pane, select Mail.
5. Go to the Message arrival section and click the Desktop Alert Settings button.
6. Click the Preview button.
7. Click and drag the generated Desktop Alert to the desired location on your desktop.
8. Click OK to close the Desktop Alert Settings window.
9. Click OK to close the Outlook Options window.