You’ve acquired a large collection of ebooks in various file formats over the years and want to put them on your Kindle, but how? If you are running a Windows computer, you can easily and freely convert them so that you can read them on your Kindle.
First, you’ll need to download and install the free Mobipocket Creator 4.2 Publisher Edition (Make sure to install the Publisher Edition, the Home Edition doesn’t have the document conversion feature).
1. Open Mobipocket Creator Publisher Edition. (Click the OK button if it is your first time using the software).
2. From the Home screen, go to the Import From Existing File section.
3. Select the appropriate file type for your conversion.
4. Go to Choose a file and browse to the file that you wish to convert.
5. Click the Import button.
6. Once the document has been imported, it will appear in the Publication Files section.
7. Select the file and then go to the menu bar and select Build.
8. Under Compression options, select the desired level of compression (No Compression, Standard Compression, or High Compression).
9. Leave the Encryption settings on No encryption.
10. Click the Build button.
11. Once the build process is completed, if you kept the default folder location, go to My Documents (on XP) or Documents (on Vista). Open the My Publications directory.
12. Find the folder that has the same name as the document you wanted converted.
13. Locate the file with a .prc extension.
14. Connect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cord.
15. Copy the .prc file to your Kindle’s Documents folder.