On individual Facebook posts, you have the option to change your privacy. However, when you’ve been on Facebook for many years, you can’t just go back and manually limit each post’s privacy. This just doesn’t seem practical, especially when there’s a much simpler shortcut. With Facebook’s Limit past post feature, now you can easily change the privacy of your entire Facebook activity over the years to private. Here’s how it works:
Making All Facebook Posts Private on Android (Limiting Past Posts)
1. Open the Facebook app.
2. Click the Three Horizontal Stacked Bars on the right.
3. Scroll down and tap Settings and Privacy.
4. Select Privacy Shortcuts.
5. Under the Privacy heading, select See More Privacy Settings.
6. Tap Limit Who Can See Future Past Posts
7. Tap Limit Past Posts in bold red.
8. Select Limit Past Posts to confirm your selection.
Making All Facebook Posts Private on Windows
1. Go to your Facebook Timeline.
2. Click the Question Mark (?) on the top-right.
3. Select Privacy Shortcuts from the drop-down menu.
4. In the Privacy Section, select See More Privacy Settings.
5. In the Your Activity Section, Select Limit The Audience For Posts… option.
6. Tap Limit Past Posts.
Some Things To Keep In Mind
Facebook warns you that if you limit your past posts, they will no longer be open to the general public. This includes anyone who’s not on your friend list. Even mutual friends, what we call friends of friends on Facebook, are excluded. However, if any of your old posts have tagged users, they will still be able to access and see them. You also have to keep in mind that once you choose this option, there’s no coming back. You will have to individually untag each Facebook Post and change its privacy to public if you want to revert your selection — this could take days. So, before using this feature, make sure you’ve thought your decision through.
Related Facebook Tech-Recipes
Using Off-Facebook Activity
Protecting Your Facebook Account Privacy
Facebook: Change the Privacy of a Group
How to Create a Facebook Messenger Room
How to Turn Off Comments on your Facebook Post