XP: What is the Msocache Folder and How Do I Remove It?
Local Install Source copies Office installation source files from the Microsoft Office 2003 installation media into a hidden folder on the hard drive called the Msocache folder. This tutorial describes how to remove this folder.
Local Install Source creates a hidden folder when Office 2003 is installed to prevent the user from having to insert the CD during installation and maintenance.
The folder usually takes up > 200 MB of space. You will have to decide if this convenience is worth the hard drive space or not.
You can prevent it from being placed on your drive from the beginning by selecting the Delete installation files checkbox during the installation.
Removing it once it is created is not difficult. Do not use Explorer to delete this folder. Simply running the Disk Cleanup Wizard will take care of it.
- 1. Click Start.
2. Select All Programs.
3. Select Accessories.
4. Select System Tools.
5. Click Disk Cleanup.
6. Disk Cleanup will do its calculations.
7. From the Drives list in the Select Drive dialog box, select the hard drive that contains the Msocache folder.
8. Wait for more calculations to complete.
9. Select the Office Setup Files checkbox in the Files to Delete list.
10. Click OK.
11. When you are asked, Are you sure you want to delete these files?, select Yes.
View more articles by David Kirk
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.