How Do I Develop Apps for the Apple Watch?
The upcoming Apple Watch is the new promised land for developers. Learn how to set up a project for developing apps for it here.
1. Download and install Xcode 6.2. Normally, you could download the it from the App Store on your Mac. However, at the time of this writing, Xcode 6.2 is still in beta and can be downloaded on the Apple’s developer website.
2. Once the software is installed, launch it, and create a new Xcode project.
3. In the project template window, go to iOS -> Application, and choose the type of application you want to make. Please note that the template is actually for iPhone. In order to make an Apple Watch app, you still need to create a parent iPhone app since it is not possible to make a stand-alone watch app yet. In this tutorial, I have chosen the Single View Application template.
4. In the next screen, fill in details for the Product Name, Organization Identifier, and choose the programming Language. Leave Use Core Data unchecked if you do not any plans to use that feature in your app.
5. Once the parent project has been created, go to File -> New -> Target.
6. Choose iOS -> Apple Watch -> WatchKit App.
7. In the Add Target window, you may leave the information as it is. If you want to take advantage of the Notification and Glance feature, check the options under Language. Otherwise, leave them unchecked.
8. When you click Finish, Xcode will add two new targets to your existing project: the WatchKit Extension, and the WatchKit App. The former contains logic code running on the iPhone, while the latter contains storyboards and assets for displaying on the Apple Watch. These two are linked together, so you need both of them in your project.
9. Now that you have set up the targets, it is time to build the apps.
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.