How to Install Google Currents on the Kindle Fire
Google Currents is a magazine-like news reader (like Flipboard or Zite) that is available for iOS and Android. Unfortunately, since the Kindle Fire doesn’t contain any of the Google frameworks or files, Google Currents won’t install on the device. Here’s how to enjoy the new reader on the Kindle Fire.
Note: The following was performed on a rooted Kindle Fire.
First, you need to set your Kindle Fire to allow the installation of applications.
1. Go to the Kindle Fire’s home screen.
2. Go to the upper-right corner and select the Settings icon.
3. Select More.
4. Select Device.
5. Go to Allow Installation of Applications and select ON.
6. Connect your device to your computer.
We are going to use Dropbox to move the files we need to the device. If you don’t already have an account, go to http://www.dropbox.com/ and set one up. It is a far easier way of moving files to and from your device than having to plug in the device to your computer. After you have Dropbox setup on your computer, you need to install the Dropbox app on the Kindle Fire. Open the Kindle Fire’s web browser and go to http://www.dropbox.com/android and follow the directions to install the application.
On your computer:
You will need to download the following files from here.
ES File Explorer_188.8.131.52.apk
After you have downloaded the above files, create a new folder on your desktop to work with. Move the above files to the new folder. Move the folder to your Dropbox folder. The files will automatically sync to the cloud.
On your Kindle Fire:
We will need ES File Explorer to move most of the files, so we need to install it.
1. Open the Dropbox app.
2. Navigate to the desired folder.
3. Long tap (tap and hold) on com.google.android.maps.jar and select download.
4. Long tap (tap and hold) on com.google.android.maps.xml and select download.
5. Tap (not long tap) ES File Explorer_184.108.40.206.apk and wait for it to download.
6. Once it is downloaded, the application installation screen will appear. Tap the Install button.
7. Once it has finished installing, open ES File Explorer.
8. Tap the Kindle Fire’s Menu button and select Settings.
9. Go to the bottom of the screen and check the Root Explorer checkbox and the Mount File System checkbox.
10. Select the Fire’s back arrow to return to the application.
11. Locate and select the dropbox folder.
10. Select the new folder that you created.
11. Long tap com.google.android.maps.jar and select Copy.
12. Go to the top of ES File Explorer and select the Star icon.
13. Select Phone.
14. Select system.
15. select framework.
16. Long tap on an existing file and select Paste.
17. After the file has been copied, long tap on com.google.android.maps.jar. Scroll to the bottom of the menu and select Properties.
18. Select the change button.
19. Check and uncheck the boxes so that all three read checkboxes are checked as well as the write checkbox for User. All other checkboxes should be unchecked. Select the OK.
20. Go to the top of ES File Explorer and select the Star icon.
21. Select Home.
22. Select dropbox.
23. Go back into your new folder.
24. Long tap com.google.android.maps.xml and select Copy.
25. Go to the top of ES File Explorer and select the Star icon.
26. Select Phone.
27. Select system.
28. select framework.
29. Long tap on an existing file and select Paste.
30. After the file has been copied, long tap on com.google.android.maps.xml. Scroll to the bottom of the menu and select Properties.
31. Select the change button.
32. Check and uncheck the boxes so that all three read checkboxes are checked as well as the write checkbox for User. All other checkboxes should be unchecked. Select the OK.
33. Go back to the new dropbox folder (Star – Home – dropbox – folder) and long press GoogleServicesFramework.apk and select Copy.
34. Click the Star button at the top of ES File Explorer.
35. Select Select Phone.
36. Select system.
37. Select app.
38. Long tap a file and select Paste.
39. Close ES File Explorer.
40. Open the Dropbox app.
41. Go back to the new folder.
42. Tap (not long tap) Google_Currents_1.0.apk and wait for it to download.
43. Once it is downloaded, the application installation screen will appear. Tap the Install button. When it finishes installing, open the app and sign in to your account.
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.