Word 2007 has some cool new features for creating your document like Quick Styles, unfortunately you cannot use these features on documents that were saved in an older format. To gain access to the latest features, convert the old document to the new format by following these steps:
1. Open Microsoft Word 2007.
2. Click the Office Button.
3. Select Open.
4. Browse to the word document that is to be converted.
5. Select the document and click the Open button.
6. Click the Office Button.
7. Select Convert.
8. Click OK when the confirmation box appears.
9. Save the document by clicking the Office Button and selecting Save or select Save from the Quick Access Toolbar.