Word 2003: Open and Retreive Document Saved from Outlook
This recipe explains how to retreive a Word document that was opened in Outlook and then saved into the temp Outlook folder.
I’ve encountered times where i will open a Word document from an Outlook email and then save the document without realizing that i didn’t change the location to where i saved it.
However, when i try to browse to the location in Windows Explorer, it is unavailable and does not show (ie C:\Documents and Settings\user id\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKC9)
To get access to this document, we can do the following:
1. Open up a different email w/a Word attachment
2. In Word, go to File > Save As
3. This should open the usual ‘Save As’ window. By default, it should open to the OLK## folder and you probably will see other word docs or attachments in here.
4. Right-Click on the Word document we had previously opened and saved and choose Copy.
5. Now go to your desktop and Right-Click and choose Paste. You should now have that saved copy on your desktop!
This can be very handy if you ever need to get to any temp attachment files or docs you saved that were opened directly from an email. You can apply this technique to other files types too (ie PDFs, .txt, etc) that were opened directly from the email as an attachment and that were saved to that temp folder.
View more articles by Jimmy Selix
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.