This is a quickie guide on how to install Microsoft’s Silverlight 2.0+ browser plugin for non-Intel based systems running OSX (including PowerPC and Hackintosh setups, ie Atom cpus and AMD).
If your a Mac user running an older PowerPC setup (ie G5 or older system) or are running OSX on windows hardware, you prob noticed you can’t install Silverlight 2.0 due to the processor check. This can be a bummer since Netflix for OSX only works using the Silverlight 2.0 framework.
This recipe explains how to remove the CPU check in the installation package.
1. Download the Silverlight 2.0 DMG file from Microsoft
2. Mount the DMG file (double click it)
3. Copy the pkg file ( Silverlight2.0.pkg ) to your desktop.
4. Right-click (or ctrl+click) on the .pkg file on your desktop and choose “Show Package Contents”
5. Browse to: Contents > Resources and then Right-click on “InstallationCheck” and choose to “Move to Trash”
This removes the CPU check that prevents the install.
Now close that Finder window and run the .pkg file we just edited. Silverlight should now install without any problems!
This technique may be applicable to other applications w/installation checks.