Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware: Critical Error 101
As the use of Microsoft’s new Beta antispyware increases, many users are reporting this error. Here are some hints for working around it.
Are you receiving the classic 101 error, too? It is an odd error that is caused by several issues. Usually, the error occurs because of a problem related to permission. An update or a reinstallation will usually fix this.
Here is how to update:
- 1. Logged in with admin privileges, open your Control Panel.
2. Select Add/Remove Programs.
3. Select Microsoft AntiSpyware.
4. Click Change.
5. The Maintenance Wizard will open. Select Next.
6. Click Update Microsoft AntiSpyware .
7. Select Install, and the product will install.
8. Click Finish.
If that does not work, you can uninstall it completely from the control panel and reinstall using the information provided in this tech-recipe.
You can also try killing the program and restarting it:
- 1. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL -> open task manager.
2. Select gcasDTServ.exe.
3. Select End Process.
4. Restart the antivirus program.
The newsgroups have also suggested making sure your DCOM service is started as follows:
- 1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. In the textbox, enter C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
4. Click OK.
View more articles by David Kirk
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.