XP will automatically disconnect your modem connections if your connection has been idle for a while. The following recipe describes how to disable this.
I like being online. I always want to be online.
XP automatically disconnects modem connections if the connection has been idle for a while. This is an issue for those of us who always want to be online!
Here is how to disable the idle disconnect:
- 1. Select Phone and Modem Options in your Control Panel.
2. Click the Modems tab and select your modem.
3. Click Properties.
4. Select the Advanced tab.
5. Click the Change Default Preferences button.
6. Select the General tab.
7. Clear the Disconnect a Call If Idle check box.
8. Click OK twice to finish.
If you are still getting disconnected, check your individual connection properties:
- 1. Click Start.
2. Click Connect to.
3. Click Show All Connections.
4. Right click your internet connection and select Properties from the context menu.
5. Select the Options tab.
6. Change Idle Time before Hanging Up to Never.
7. Click OK.
If you are still getting disconnected, it may be your ISP that is automatically dropping your connection due to your being idle.