If you want to keep your youngsters from accessing certain sites, you want to block certain cites due to their content, or if you want to play a mean joke on a co-worker, you can block sites by redirecting them to the computer’s IP address that is used for a loopback network connection.
1. Open Computer (My Computer on Windows XP machines).
2. Browse to
3. Right-click the hosts file and open it with either Notepad or Wordpad.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
5. Input the following:
where siteyouwantblocked.com is the name of the site you wish to block. Press Enter and repeat this step until you have entered all desired sites.
6. Add an extra carriage return by pressing Enter.
7. Save the file.
8. Close Notepad (or Wordpad).
The sites that you have added to the hosts file will now be blocked.