It is sometimes necessary to modify the number of characters displayed in a query result set, especially when you are dealing with results containing a large number of columns. To configure the maximum number of characters displayed, do the following…
1. Open SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.
2. Click Tools and select Options.
3. In the Options dialog box, double-click on Query Results in the left pane.
4. Select Results to Text in the left pane.
5. Towards the bottom of the right pane, change the box for Maximum number of characters displayed in each column to the desired value.
6. Click OK.
7. Click OK on the resulting confirmation box telling you that the changes will only be applied to new SQL Server Query Editor window.
Now open a new Query Editor window and execute a query to make sure the results are as desired.