How Do I Install the Android Market on Android SDK
Although the Android SDK is useful for developers, it lacks one important feature–the Android Market. Following these intructions, you can install Android Market. This will allow you to download and test free applications or games with the latest Android 2.3 SDK.
2. Go to …….\android-sdk_r08-windows\android-sdk-windows\platforms\android-9\images (this is the default folder for SDK Platform Android 2.3, API 9, revision 1), copy system.img and paste it to C:\Users\Username\.android\avd\Emulator’s name.avd
3. Download three files: Vending.apk, GoogleServicesFramework.apk and ADB.zip (unzip the file after downloaded). After that, put all these files into …….\android-sdk_r08-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools, we will need them later. (In Android 2.3 SDK, adb files have been removed so that’s why we need them. If you use Android 2.2 SDK, you may not need to download the file)
3. Press Winkey+R, type cmd and press Enter. In command prompt, change the directory to …….\android-sdk_r08-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools (I kept the default folder structure but it is recommended that you change it).
4. Type the following: emulator –avd tech-recipes –partition-size 100 and hit Enter (please replace tech-recipes with your emulator’s name). This command will launch your emulator. Please don’t try to launch it from SDK manager, otherwise, it won’t work.
5. Launch another command prompt window, switch to …….\android-sdk_r08-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools , type in: adb -s emulator-5554 shell and hit Enter
(Please make sure that the emulator is fully loaded, and replace 5554 with your emulator’s serial code which you can find at the top of emulator’s window.) After that, type mount and hit Enter again. You will see something like below, and look for the line: /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system yaffs2 ro 00.
6. Now, type in: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system and hit Enter. This will remount the /system in read-write mode. Because we will copy some files to /system/app later, we must set read-write permission to that directory. To do it, type the following: chmod 777 /system/app , hit Enter. After that, you need to exit. Type exit, hit Enter again. The whole step will look like this:
7. In this step, we will copy two files: Vending.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk into /system/app. To do this, from the second command prompt window, type: adb -s emulator-5554 push Vending.apk /system/app/. and hit Enter. Similar to that, to copy the next file, type: adb -s emulator-5554 push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app/. , hit Enter again. If sucess, it will look like this:
8. Now, you need to remove SdkSetup.apk from /system/app (if it is not removed, the SDK will be restore in next session). In the second command prompt window, type: adb shell rm /system/app/SdkSetup.apk , hit Enter.
9. Close your emulator.
10. Go to C:\Users\Username\.android\avd\Emulator’s name.avd and delete these two files: userdata-qemu.img and cache.img. Launch your emulator in the normal way and then, you will see Android Market from the list.
Note: Some applications and games may not work because they need real hardware. Angry Birds and Youtube are such examples. With these you can hear the sounds but not see any video.
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.