By now, I’m sure that you know that you can send SMS messages using email and the appropriate email address to users of T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint, as well as AT&T, Alltel and others. But who wants to rely on email when you can text back and forth without leaving Gmail or having to refresh the page.
1. Go to Gmail and login to your account.
2. Go to the left side of the page, locate and expand Chat.
3. There are two ways to initiate a SMS message:
a. Using the phone number of the intended recipient or an existing contact.
- Input the number of the desired recipient or begin typing the name of an existing contact in the Search, add, or invite textbook.
- Click Send SMS.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
- A popup will appear, input a name for the contact and select Save. If you have selected a contact, you will skip this step.
b. Using Chat’s contact list.
- Mouseover the desired recipient from your contacts listed in Chat itself.
- Click Video & more.
- Select Send SMS from the resulting menu.
- Input the number for the contact and click Save.
4. The SMS window will appear in the lower right corner of the screen. You can click the pop-out arrow to open SMS in its own window.
5. Input the desired message and press Enter on your keyboard. The message will be sent.
6. When the recipient responds, it will automatically appear in the SMS window.