By default, Ubuntu requires that you login each time you run the operating system. If you are the only person using the computer and aren’t worried about security, this can be excessive and annoying. By enabling Automatic Login, Ubuntu will go straight to the desktop without requiring a login.
1. Go to the Main Menu. Select System, mouseover Administration, and select Login Window.
2. When prompted, enter the administrator password and click the OK button.
3. In the Login Window Preferences window, select the Security tab.
4. Check the Enable Automatic Login checkbox.
5. Select your username from the User dropdown.
6. Click the Close button.