If your a Zune owner or just a Zune software users (like myself), the new 3.0 updated added a few nice additional features including larger sub-categories for Video ( tv, music, movies, other ) and more metadata options (genre, year, description, etc).
However, one thing that most people are not aware of is the fact that the Zune software is one of the few that can actually embed the metadata info into the mp4 file itself. So the genre info, year, title, and other metadata will be embedded into the file itself. This recipe will explain how to edit metadata and in turn get movies in the movies area and music videos in that area, etc.
Zune Software v3.0
1. Open Zune 3.0 software player
2. Go to Collection > Videos
Most likely, if you go to movies or tv or music, nothing will show up. Go to the other tab.
3. Right-click on the movie file, choose the Edit option.
This area will allow us to edit/update the metadata for the movie. Including the Year, Genre, Title, Description, and Category.
Category = the category in the zune software (and iTunes too).
4. Once your done, click OK.
The Zune software will reflect the change instantly by showing you nothing in the other area; go to the movies and you should see your movies and hopefully w/the metadata we entered. I’d keep the zune software running at this point, just minimize it.
5. After updating the title, year, genre, category, etc; your pc will seem like its slowing down a little. Don’t worry, what is happening now is that the mp4 file container is being updated and in turn the file is being temp copied while the containers updated (you’ll see a file similar to mp410E.tmp in the folder of the mp4 file its updating).
Once this is all done (prob a few hours if you have a lot of movies, 50+; you can tell by checking for that file or by if your harddrive is active or not), you should hopefully an mp4 w/updated metadata and thus never have to re-tag again. 🙂