If you try to install the Zune software on a machine running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2, you will soon find out that it is an unsupported operating system. There’s a simple way around this.
1. Download the Zune software to your desktop.
2. Open up a command prompt and go to the desktop.
3. At the command prompt, input and execute the following:
4. When prompted for a location, give the desired location for the extracted files.
5. When extraction is complete, go to the location where you had the files extracted to.
6. Inside the location, you will find a folder called packages.
7. Use the command prompt and go to the packages directory of the extracted files.
8. At the command prompt, input and execute the following:
msiexec /i Zune-x64.msi
9. The software will be installed, although no dialogue windows will be displayed. Once it has completed, you will find the Zune icon on the desktop.