If you’re a Gmail user and need your contacts on your iPad, there’s an easy method for doing this that doesn’t requires only your iPad and iTunes. You’ll need to hook up to iTunes each time that you wish to sync contacts, but it beats coughing up $99 per year for MobileMe.
1. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes if it doesn’t open automatically.
2. Locate your iPad in the left column of iTunes, under Devices.
3. Select the Info tab.
4. Check the Sync Contacts with checkbox.
5. Check the Sync Google Contacts checkbox. Click the Configure button.
6. Agree with the terms.
7. Input your Gmail email address and password. Click OK.
Your Gmail contacts will be synced with your iPad.