Many web pages prevent you from saving QuickTime movies to your hard drive. Here are some hints to get you started.
Many web pages now exist for viewing QuickTime movies. You enjoy viewing and watching the movies; however, you cannot find out how to download them directly to your hard drive.
Based on the skill level of the web designer, it is possible to prevent users from directly downloading the movies’ files. Fortunately, however, most web designers do not go to such trouble. With a few simple hints, you have a good chance of directly downloading it.
1. Right-click and Save Target As
If there is a direct link on the web page to the movie file, then it is very easy to download.
– Right click on the direct link to the movie file (*.mov).
– Select Save Target As.
– Name it and save it.
2. Find the link hidden in the source
Most web designers do not give a direct link; however, you can still find the link in the source code.
– Navigate to the page on which the movie is playing.
– Click View menu.
– Click Source.
– Notepad is open; click Edit menu.
– Select Find.
– In the text box type the following: .mov andmake sure you include the period.
– Typically the end of the url will be highlighted. The URL will like this, for example:
embed src= "http://www.blahblahblah.org/movies/hah_faptastic1.mov" border="0" bgcolor="#212121" controller="true" target="myself" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" loop="FALSE" autoplay="true" height="262" width="320">
– Highlight and copy the URL part of the following:
– Paste this URL into your browser address bar, and click GO.
– When the film has completely loaded, click the File menu in your browser.
– Select Save As.
– Name and save your movie file.
Unfortunately, these two common methods will not work for all web applications. Many companies that developed highly complex methods for hiding the source quicktime files to prevent easy downloading.