Do you have a PlayStation 3 and wish you could change the theme on your PS3 without having to buy themes from the PSN? Here’s how you can download and install PS3 theme files from a usb harddrive or thumbdrive.
PSN has a decent supply of themes but some of them just aren’t that nice or not even relevant; thankfully there are a ton of great PS3 theme artists out there and most post their themes for free on the web. Here is a quick place with a large selection of free PS3 themes: http://www.ps3-themes.com/.
Now let’s see how we get that theme installed on our PS3. This does require a computer for the downloading /copying parts.
1. We will need to have a USB Thumbdrive or harddrive handy and will also want to be sure that its formatted in FAT32. The PS3 will not recognized harddrives that run NTFS.
2. On the USB Thumbdrive / harddrive, we will need to create a few folders to put the theme files in.
At the root level, create a PS3 folder (ie E:\PS3). Go into the PS3 folder and then create a folder in here called Theme
So we should have a Theme folder under the PS3 folder (ie E:\PS3\Theme )
3. Find a PS3 theme you want to install. Theme files end with a .p3t extension.
Copy the .p3t file to the USB thumbdrive / harddrive and into the Theme folder (ie E:\PS3\Theme\TokenTheme.p3t )
4. Plug in the USB thumbdrive / harddrive into your PS3
5. On the XMB go to Settings > Theme Setting
6. Once in the Theme Settings,hit X on Theme and then scroll up to and hit X on Install
7. Choose your USB Drive and then choose your theme to install (ie Token Theme) and hit X on it.
8. It will appear as nothing happens, go back in to the Theme option and now choose and apply our new theme!
Voila! (Token Theme by William Alexander, here )