XP: Change the Registered Owner and Organization Names
After purchasing a computer with XP already installed, many people want to change the registered owner and organization names on their system. This can be easily accomplished using a few simple steps.
The registered owner and organization name data fields can be easily changed in XP without reinstallation.
This does require changing the registry. If you are not familiar and experienced with this, back up your system first.
- 1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. Type regedit in the textbox, and click OK.
4. Regedit should load. Browse to this registry key:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
5. In the right panel, double-click RegisteredOwner.
6. In the value data field, change the name to whatever you wish.
7. Click OK .
8. In the right panel, double-click RegisteredOrganization.
9. In the value data field, change the name to whatever you wish. You may also delete this text and leave this field blank.
10. Exit regedit and log off or reboot.
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.