How to Secure Your Instagram Account
Two-factor authentication provides extra security to your online accounts by preventing unauthorized access to them even if someone has your password. This feature requires an additional code to complete the sign-in process on an unknown device. The code is sent to the account owner’s phone. Because two-factor authentication effectively protects your online accounts, you should turn it on for every service you use that supports it. Instagram is among the popular services that support two-factor authentication. If you have not taken advantage of this security feature on Instagram, follow the steps in this tutorial to secure your Instagram account.
As of this writing, two-factor authentication on Instagram has just been rolled out worldwide. Make sure that your Instagram app is up-to-date so that you can access this feature. This tutorial works for both Android and iOS versions of Instagram.
Two-factor authentication blocks unauthorized access to your account. However, if a hacker tries to access your account, this means he knows your password. You should change your password immediately to secure your Instagram account.
How to protect your Instagram account:
1. Open the Instagram app on your phone.
2. Tap the User icon at the bottom-right of the screen.
3. In the profile view screen, tap the 3-dot icon at the top of the screen to access the Options screen.
4. Scroll down to the Account section. Select the Two-Factor Authentication option.
5. Turn on the Require Security Code option.
6. Select Turn On in the pop-up window. If you have not added your phone number, you will need to fill in your number before turning the feature on.
7. Enter the 6-digit code to confirm your phone number. Tap the blue arrow to continue.
8. You can use the regular 6-digit codes that you receive on your phone whenever you log into your account on a new device. You can also use the backup codes that Instagram provides when you first set up two-factor authentication. Be sure to save them. These codes may come in handy if you are unable to receive SMS messages.
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.