Blackberry OS 6: How to Setup a Google Apps Email Account
This tech-recipe is for the Google Apps user who wants to setup the account on a Blackberry device running the latest OS 6. Google Apps allows businesses and individuals to run Google powered apps and hosted email on their own domains. Following these directions, you will be able to sync your Google mail with your Blackberry.
1. On your Homescreen, go to Messages.
2. Hit your Blackberry button and then go to Options.
3. Go to Email Management and then click on the “Setup another email account“.
4. Scroll down to Other and then fill in your email address (ie firstname.lastname@example.org) and password and then click Continue.
5. Your Blackberry will stay on “Processing, please wait…” for a minute or two and then will fail, click OK and return you to the account setup screen. We will now need to click on the “I will provide the settings” link and fill in the following information:
Select: “POP/IMAP (Most Common)
Email address: your google apps email address (ie email@example.com)
Password: your google apps password
User name: your google apps email address (ie firstname.lastname@example.org)
Then click on Continue.
6. Hopefully you should get a confirmation screen saying it is complete. You can now setup syncing of your Google Apps email. Contacts and Calendar do not appear to sync though; you can in turn use Google Sync for these items if needed or use your web browser to view.
You will also have an icon for your account on your homescreen.
View more articles by Jimmy Selix
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.