AIM Virus/Trojan: How to Remove lockx.exe Rootkit
The new AIM virus/Trojan installs the lockx.exe rootkit. The following tutorial describes how to uninstall it.
- O4 – HKLM\..\Run: [stratas] lockx.exe
- O4 – HKLM\..\RunServices: [stratas] lockx.exe
- O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [stratas] lockx.exe
- Any entry with pokapoka in it
- R1 – HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = htp://ww.clickhere4search.com/sp2.php
- R1 – HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = htp://ww.clickhere4search.com/sp2.php
- R1 – HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = htt://ww.clickhere4search.com/sp2.php
You have several options for removing this file, but you must remove it. I would download and run KillBox. Put a checkmark next to Delete on reboot, type in C:\Windows\System32\lockx.exe, and hit the Delete File red circle button. You can also remove it by using any of these techniques.
6. Update and run your antivirus spyware. Run an online antivirus as well.
7. This should remove the rootkit; however, you likely still have a ton of spyware installed on your system. You can use any of these programs to clean the rest off. I like ewido as well.
Follow the reactions below and share your own thoughts.